Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Run, Sarah, Run

In late July, I travelled to St. Louis and spent the weekend getting to know a number of remarkable conservatives at the annual Smart Girl Politics conference, the Smart Girl Summit. I admit, I'm always a bit nervous attending political events of any sort. I'm truly just a mom trying to make a difference, and no matter how immersed I become in the world of politics, I never quite feel like I belong. It isn't that I'm not warmly welcomed, or that I don't want to attend these events...nothing of the sort. It's really quite difficult to explain, and I admit it,  I rather like the discomfort I feel. My heart is filled with love for this great nation, and what I've seen take place over the last several years has been nothing short of outrageous--I'll never be filled with joy when I have to meet and talk about the issues we face as a nation. I feel a great responsibility as a citizen journalist (blogger) and a writer to get the story right, when so many in the mainstream media get it dead wrong. I learned early on in my blogging adventures that I must grow a thick skin if I was to make it very far in this world of political blogging...and that, my friends, has taken some time. It seems these days, no matter what crowd I'm in, if the subject of politics comes up, opinions are as varied as the number of people in the room. (yes, believe it or not, that's even the case in conservative circles) 


The thing I love about the Smart Girl Summit, and other events like it, is that it's just the bare bones. You're not going to get a fancy show, and while we love hearing from every speaker that so graciously takes time from their busy schedule to appear, we're not about gushing over anyone. Those who attend these conferences are there to be educated and empowered, and most of us are pretty darn serious about it.  The speakers don't waltz in acting like Hollywood celebrities, though some of them could easily do so (Phyllis Schlafly, Andrew Breitbart, and Herman Cain--to name a few), and the mainstream media in attendance is treated with...well...a bit of disinterest. Frankly, I find that somewhat amusing. 


Those on the left seem to be quite puzzled by these events. They attend incognito, then leave and write the funniest pieces about what happened. I guess what with all the civility and lack of riots, they just don't quite know what to make of it all. Even the media--who are very easily identified--seem to walk around with a perpetual look of confusion on their faces. It must be terribly frustrating to have so much disdain for a group of people, step into what you believe is going to be a brainwashing session, and instead, hear nothing but truth being spoken. 


I don't know about you, but I feel like this political world in which we live is growing crazier with each passing day. I keep thinking that surely I'm going to wake up one morning and figure out that it was really all just a very bad dream. We have a political party in power who is going to great lengths not only to openly destroy the very fabric of our nation, but a party who is literally seething with hate for anyone who dares to disagree with them. It's like the country is being run by a bunch of spoiled brats, and if it weren't so destructive, it would be incredibly hilarious. 


The country is suffering, and with what we've seen over the last few days, it's not going to get better any time in the very near future. What we're lacking is true leadership, and there are few souls left in this world who are brave enough to step into the political arena that we see today in Washington. The left has made it abundantly clear: they will seek to destroy anyone who dares to run against them. 


Governor Sarah Palin has been asked a million times if she had plans to run for President. I've heard her answer more than once that she'd consider running only if/when she feels the country needs her. She's been vetted more thoroughly than any candidate in American history, and if I were in her shoes, perhaps I'd run as far as I could run and never look back. Those on the left, and many on the right, have treated her with an unfairness that is unparalleled in American politics, and it's been largely overlooked. As we've seen in recent days, however, doing the right thing is never the easy thing, and only time will tell whether or not Sarah will decide to run for President. It's my firm belief that, should she decide to run, and America gets to know the real Sarah, she'll win by a landslide. 


Now that you've picked yourself up off the floor, let me briefly explain why I hold that opinion. I sat in a room mostly full of conservatives at the Smart Girl Summit last month as we watched The Undefeated. I'd screened the movie here in DC two months prior, and already knew what they were in for. I listened throughout the two hours as many gasped or loudly proclaimed their anger as they heard facts they'd never been told by our mainstream American media. The general consensus, as far as I could tell before the film, was that attendees liked Sarah, but they weren't all that concerned with the topic because she isn't yet on the ballot. After the film, I heard comment after comment exclaiming "Sarah has got to run! I had no idea she'd done all that!"...and an anger that they--mostly conservatives--had been so misled by the media. 


I believe with all my heart that the tactics of the left will eventually backfire on them. I think Americans are fed up with the shenanigans we see being played on the Hill and in the White House. The American people aren't the idiots that those on the left think them to be...we can only hope that enough people are waking up to pay attention, and that when they do, the right person has stepped forward to run. 


I believe that person is Sarah Palin. 


“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”-Theodore Roosevelt

1 comment:

Rose said...

With you all the way - waiting for Sarah. She IS the one.

No matter who the Republicans run, we will be told they cannot win. They will be destroyed by the Soros media. No one else can take the blast furnace and emerge as hardened steel. She can.

It will be a good race, we have all the new energy, new blood, fire-in-the-belly. We have come a long way since the Bob-Dole-it's-your-turn-in-line kind of race. We have the ideas, the principles and the committment - and she shines above them all.

Keep your eye on the target, do not engage in circular firing squads that leave our candidate(s) bloodied in the final round by friendly fire. No matter who makes it, they will be 1,000% improvement over the disaster sitting in the White House today.

I like them all - but love Palin, and we're waiting!